Saturday, June 4, 2011

The End…

Well, I had a complete hysterectomy done on June 1st.

I struggled for years before making my decision. Once I made up my mind I felt at peace with it. Some of my fears were never dealt with until I voiced them ~ if that makes any sense to any of you. :) The main one was that I felt that I was loosing a piece of what made me a woman, a piece of my identity. It took my husband listening and reinforcing his love for me to help me to see that I am more than just my uterus and ovaries.

I never wanted anymore children. I have one son and knew when the nurse laid him on my breast that I was done having kids.

Once I got all of my “hesitations” out of the way we set up a surgery date with my GYN.

We went in on June 1st at 6 in the morning. My doctor told me that I bled very little so she was able to complete the surgery quicker than originally estimated. She did not see any endometriosis. That gives me mixed feelings…

It’s good that she didn’t see any endo. The source has now been removed and therefore the endo won’t come back unless there are small deposits that she couldn’t see. I’m choosing to believe that I’m completely clean and won’t have anymore problems. On the other side, I’ve had a lot of chronic pain in the last year and a half that was not caused by endo. I’m hoping that the hysterectomy will take care of all of that unexplained pain.

I’m not taking Celexa to help with the hot flashes and mood swings. I haven’t really noticed any differences. I was on Lupron before my surgery and was already dealing with hot flashes, etc.

Another upside? I’ve quit smoking! I was working on cutting back and the surgery day finally got me there. I smoked one last night and didn’t enjoy it one bit! I think I’m done for real this time.

I think the hardest part we went through preparing for my surgery was getting my 12 year old prepared for the possibility that Mommy might not wake up. None of my family is close to us and I needed to make preparations for the worst case scenario. If for some reason my husband became unable to care for my son after my death, I had to call someone local to pick up my child and wait to family to arrive to take over final preparations. All three of us had a very emotional day as I worked out those details. I typed up a list of directions for my son to have on him.

While this blog was started as a chronicle of my Lupron journey, I think I will continue it so that others may read of my continued journey after my hysterectomy…What do y’all think? Should I change the name? Leave me a comment if you have any ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment